The Winter Garden, Kristin Hannah



I woke up this morning with a true and serious book hangover. I mean, a real doozy. Swollen eyes, headache, stuffy nose... I must have been crying in my sleep, and The Winter Garden is to blame. I can't think of any thing else at the moment, and I should have known better.

I read The Nightingale last year, and it really touched me, so I couldn't pass up the chance to read The Winter Garden when it was offered for free on the Bookshout app. I don't normally like to read on my phone, but the app has a speed read setting which is awesome for the elliptical or treadmill. So I decided to give it a try. It's a really good thing I read The Nightingale, because I at least had enough warning from that to know I had to stop reading Winter Garden at the gym. I got so caught up in Vera's story that I stayed up until the wee hours of the morning to finish Winter Garden last night, and ended up trying to cry as softly as I could manage so as not to wake my husband. Not an easy thing to do, considering my soul was shattered and my heart broken. It's really hard to have a good old ugly cry and keep it quiet at the same time. I can not stop thinking of this book.


Winter GardenWinter Garden by Kristin Hannah

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


“We women make choices for others, not for ourselves, and when we are mothers, we...bear what we must for our children. You will protect them. It will hurt you; it will hurt them. Your job is to hide that your heart is breaking and do what they need you to do.”

Oh, how I cried.....!



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Blood Countess, Andrei Codrescu

Norman, The Doll That Needed to Be Locked Away, Stephen Lancaster

The Turnip Princess and Other Newly Discovered Fairy Tales